[P] Implementing BERT-model for NER
I will try to be as concise as possible, but here is some background. The subject of my master thesis is ‘dutch named entity recognition using BERT’. This means that I will have to do entity extraction on dutch clinical notes, using google’s BERT model. The problem I have is that I’ve only taken two university programming courses (in python) and because the field of NLP is literally booming, I have a difficult time sketching out a strategic plan towards implementing this model successfully. The following is a list of things I consider doing, and I have no idea which of these are relevant here, or which important things I am potentially missing out on that would be necessary…
- Studying the book ‘Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow’ by Aurélien Géron
- Following 3 to 4 introductory courses on NLP, TensorFlow, Machine Learning on Datacamp (online learning platform)
- Following the Stanford CS224N: NLP with Deep Learning course
- Familiarizing myself with Github, trying to implement and play around with the open-source models.
- Reading blog posts on NLP
- Reading papers on NLP
Feel free to add to this list, or to provide comments on some of the listed elements!
FYI: I have a bachelor in Math (so I don’t expect any difficulties regarding the theoretics of ML)
My current professor doesn’t seem to show great interest in guiding me, so I have to refer to you guys! I would really greatly appreciate your input as I am a little bit lost at the moment to be honest.